Friday, January 27, 2006

OMG It's that cool mag EGM / Orig. posted 8/4/05


Ok, for those of you who read EGM and/or saw Kimi's blog a while back you know DirtyDiva and I were featured in the September issue in the Final Word section. Due to space constraints and possible boring answers, some of the feature was omitted. I thought it would be fun to show you all my conversation with Sara in its entirety. Enjoy. - xtcdukes

So what about them next-gen systems? Which one would you buy if you could only buy one?

Matt:
I think I know what Sara's answer will be on this one. Just call it a hunch. Heheheh. I was pretty excited about the PS3 and the Revolution when info first started surfacing before E3 (which I didn't
attend *ahem*). But I have changed my mind on all three. In the past I have been one of the many to wait in line for the new next-gen system. But somehow I always seem to get burned in one way or another. Disc errors, small to non-existant launch library and so much hype surrounding them, one is blinded by how mediocre they always seem to be. I think this year I'm going to wait a bit.

Sara: Ohhh reaaally. You think you know me? haha Well, from what I sawat E3 (ner nee ner ner!) I have to go with XBox 360. Why? Well, therewas no great showing from Nintendo and PS3 basically killed themselves with their "questionable" demo. Again I will say, if Sony can actually pull of what they showed, I may reconsider my choice but as of now, XBox has definitely got my investment. Their superb online gaming is also another reason for my choice. Matt should be happy about me being one of his gaming guinea pigs. I'll have mine pre-ordered as soon as possible.

Matt: I have my PC for online gaming. Oh wait sorry we're not supposed to talk about that are we? How much is Microsoft paying you? I must know! hahaha

If you could permanently kill off one gaming franchise, which would you pick?

Sara:
Eenie meenie miney mo, oh Nokia, you must go! I'm sorry but all three major players in the console race lend different strengths but Nokia? I know they had good intentions but it's time for them to count their losses and lay down their hand. N-Gage = poop.

Matt: It could be my stuck-in-my-ways old age talking, but I thought the question was about an actual game, and it's subsequent sequels. If that was true then my choice would have to be the Halo series. (Please send all hate mail to EGM's round file) I liked the first one, and like all others waited with anticipation for the second installment. Ok, is it just me or is it pretty much just like the first? Two guns? No ending? Big deal. Kill it before it turns into a shadow of it's initial greatness. Oh wait, it already has. But to take your path on this, I would have to agree. Where's the fun playing on a taco? Hey Guys!

Sara: Ahh Pass the dunce cap. I like to think BIG haha my mistake. I would never say to kill the Halo series because I still have hope that they can make a great come back with 360 - Then again, if they just released all of the previous maps in multiplayer mode, I'd be happy. If we're talking games, I'd say Timesplitters has to go. Those games were just crap.

Matt: Halo, Timesplitters. Tomato, tamato.

What's the best game of modern times (current gen) and all time?

Matt:
Damn you EGM for making me pick. These best of all time lists spark nothing but arguments and letter bombs. So for want of a new mailbox I have two picks for the current generation systems. Animal Crossing and Katamari Demacy. Two games that came out of left field and have contributed to many a sleepless night in search of that perfect chair or the biggest ball of junk the King of Cosmos has ever seen. As far as the game that reigns supreme over all others? Well, that has to be Tetris. Never before has a game spawned so many clones. Without Tetris there would be no Lumines. It is the epitome of what gaming is all about. Pick it up. Play it. Smile.

Sara: NO NO NO! That was my pick! You have to pick another, I'm sorry. Hmm, there are so many great games out there. Metal Gear Solid was such a pioneer in story driven action. Ghost Recon was so great as both a strategic FPS and great online game. The GTA series' has really pushed the boundaries of all that's acceptable. Of course, Halo:CE was just a phenomenal all-around game. So many greats for different reasons. I don't want to pick just one and you can't make me! Oh, ok, how about Lemmings?

Matt: Lemmings? As your all time favorite game? C'mon! Try harder. Are you just throwing that out there? It's seems like such a from-the-hip choice.

Sara: HAHA No, I just can't pick a favorite so the first thing that came into my head was lemmings. I ride NYC Transit too much.

PSP or DS?

Sara:
PSP! PSP! I kept telling myself that I would wait until all the bugs had come out but it just didn't happen. After whining throughout lunch that I felt like I was missing out, a co-worker insisted I go just to shut me up. The UMD movies are incredibly clear even on such a small screen. I am completely hooked on Lumines where I got close to breaking the 1,000,000 barrier. Some day... Also, I haven't been a big fan of Nintendo offerings since the N64. Nothing about the DS wowed me.

Matt: Poor Poor Nintendo. I for one love my DS. It seems to be gaining steam now. I agree at launch the PSP was the no-brainer choice, as long as you didn't mind Sony throwing up a big middle finger to anyone's concerns regarding button placement, dead pixels and memory stick costs, but just because a system has great graphics doesn't make it better. I tend to use both systems for diffent gaming moods. Don't get me started on the movies though.

Sara: Yes, I agree the handling of the button problem wasn't pretty but something must have been done because I haven't had a problem (knock on wood). As for the memory stick, I don't care about that because I don't need it for an mp3 player or a photo display. Also, graphics don't completely make the game but they do make them better. If they didn't we'd all still be perfectly happy bouncing single pixels across the screen instead of unleashing a fury of realistic arms on mind-blowing creatures.

Matt: But I am happy pushing pixels. Tetris, best game ever, Remember? But do you see what I'm saying? Sony comes out with this do all machine, and for what? So they can say they did. I am sick of these catch-all systems. Most people don't even buy them for that purpose anyway. I mean who actually decided to purchase a PSP because of the mp3 or movie capabilities? Stick to games guys, it's what we're here for. Otherwise we'd be debating on the Apple site about which iPod is better. Oh, and I hit a million. Hee hee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>